Monday 12 August 2013

Enduring Love - Ian McEwan

I MUST admit, this book was a slow starter for me. Though it plunged you straight into the story at the start, I found I didn’t fully relate to the characters until I got about halfway through, by which time I was hooked on the storyline and couldn’t stop reading.
With beautiful prose being a key asset of McEwan’s writing,  this is a short novel for light readers to get their teeth into, offering quality writing over quantity.
The synopsis describes the book as a story of relationships, and this is definitely the key theme, as well as death and mental illness. The main storyline follows Joe Rose and his ‘stalker’ Jed Parry, who we eventually find suffers from de Clerambault’s syndrome, and the effect this has on Joe’s life with his other half Clarissa.
Following a traumatic event, the book keeps you guessing until the end whether Jed is a figment of Joe’s imagination or whether he is the sane one.
An original storyline and a compelling read, this is one to add to your summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment